Friday, April 3, 2009

"I Wish I Had That"

Yesterday I was talking to a friend about child-raising struggles. In the midst of our conversation, I said the way I cope with the struggles the most is by praying a lot. She said, "I wish I had that." I asked her what she meant, and she said "that faith-part". She went on to say something like, "I ask the universe for good things to happen, but I'm not sure that the universe really cares about me or can do anything about it." (This is what I remember her saying, but it's probably not the words she used exactly. It is definitely the message I heard her saying, however.) I found myself with an incredible opportunity to witness to her about how my faith carries me through, but I stopped short of saying anything more than "wow" or something like that. As I write this now, though, I think the witnessing moment had come before she said what she wished she had. And I'm grateful to have been able to have shared that with her without even trying. I'm also happy to have the insight I just got when writing this entry that I didn't really miss out on an opportunity to share God's love afterall.

No comments: